Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The REFIT Revolution is about more than just getting fit.

Last year, at the nagging of a friend, I attended my first REFIT class.  I admit, I didn't want to go.  I only went to stop the incessant nagging of my friend.  I've never felt comfortable going to group exercise classes, or to the gym for that matter.  I see all the physically fit, thin people and feel like I don't belong.  I admit, I'm overweight and out of shape.

Early in my life I was the pretty one.  I was thin, and athletic.  Even after having two children I was a size 3.  Wow!  A size 3!!!  I look in the mirror now and I wonder how that is even possible.  When I was about thirty, I took a job working nights.  That was the beginning of my downfall.  Working nights, and sleeping days, I didn't eat well.  I also worked at a job for 15 years where I sat at a desk.  Throw in a hysterectomy, the fact that I quit smoking after 23 years, and a ton of stress eating, and my weight just kept going up.  Somewhere along the line I got lazy.  I'm not proud of it, but it happened.  I look in the mirror now and I barely recognize the the woman I once was.  

My first class was hard, and overwhelming.  I felt out of place.  Not because anyone made me feel that way, but because in my mind I didn't belong.  But something pulled me back.  I can't even tell you what it was at that point that made me try the class again, but I did.  I'm not going to lie.  It was hard.  I don't think I've ever sweat so much in my life. 

After that second class I realized something.  I liked it there.  I felt accepted there.  There wasn't any of this vulgar music, with cussing or messages for berating others.  The music was uplifting, and at the end of the class I felt like I had been lifted up as well.  The group of women I met at this REFIT class are amazing.  There is no judgement.  There is only encouragement.  These women really care about me.  Not just whether I show up to exercise, although they push me to do that, but they are there for me, no matter what the situation.  When I was laid off from my job of 15 years, they stood behind me to support me and lift me up.  They were there to tell me that I wasn't worthless, and that I would go on to do bigger and better things.  When my niece was very ill and could have died, they came together and prayed for her healing.  These women had never met my niece, but they knew how important she was to me, and that's all that mattered to them.  There are so many other instances I could mention, but it would take too long.  

I guess what it comes down to is that REFIT isn't just about working your muscles and getting you into shape.  It's about shaping your mind, body and soul.  I've always been very private about my spiritual beliefs, and that is okay with this group of women, or I can pray with them and for them.  There is no judgement.  Just love and acceptance.  

I also have to mention a very special REFIT instructor, Carrie.  Carrie has become one of my dearest friends.  She understands the struggles I have with my weight, because she's battled those demons as well.  When she is up in front of a REFIT class she is a rock star.  She makes class fun, while working every muscle in my body. But she is so much more.  She is my friend, my supporter, my sounding board when I need one.  She is my confidant, and she is my rock.  She is there for me, no matter what my troubles, and she is there to share in my joy as well.  I have never met a more genuine person.  The person she presents to you is the real Carrie.  There are no charades, of veils of secrecy.  There is only a woman with the biggest heart I have ever met.

Perhaps you can find a REFIT class in your area and share my experience.  It really is a revolution of the mind, body and soul.  Check it out on line, then find a class in your area.  You won't be disappointed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment